Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 5: His Servant Heart

My kids watch way too much TV. I know this because yesterday they recited all the reasons we shouldn't vote for either candidate in a congressional race. From millions mis-spent on a sign and a road to a country club to shipping jobs overseas, the only redeeming factor they could find was that one of the candidates owned a pizza place. They are now decided voters.

If only it were that easy.

Tomorrow, my farmer is on the ballot as an incumbent in a local race.  I'm not supposed to campaign.  We didn't make signs.  Beyond a write-up in the local paper, no one would know that he's running.

He's not in it for the name recognition or power, just to make a difference. He knows we are here for the long haul, and if we're lucky, our kids will want to settle here, too. His reasons for running go well beyond ego. His reasons have a whole lot more to do with his servant heart.

He's not the only one. When you take a look at our school board, community organizations, and industry groups, you’ll see a lot of farmers giving their time and talents freely.

I think it's partly a small town thing. When you grow up with 40 kids in your entire grade, almost everyone has to participate in order for an activity to happen. You learn to communicate and get along, even when you disagree. It's hard to sit on the side lines or hide with so few kids. Decisions need to be made and work needs to be done.

I've seen this in action this past week. My kids have been filling me in about the debates in their classrooms over our presidential candidates. Oh the civil discourse! They aren't the only ones watching a lot of TV.

I think it's also a farmer thing. They have broad perspectives. Their families have lived in our community for generations. They realize the importance of stewardship and contributing now to benefit future generations, not just the here and now.

His servant heart - One of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 25 other things I love about my life on the farm and 25 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day One: Grandma Millie
Day Two: My Clean Car
Day Three: He's helped me be more flexible
Day Four: Our little church

No comments:

Post a Comment